The end of June also brought the end of Josh's Intern year. To say that it's been tough is a gross understatement. While talking the other night Josh and I figured out that in the past 12 months he had 7 call months (call shifts coming every 4th day) 1 month of night shifts with an average of 4-5 days off per month. He got 7 weekends off (Saturday and Sunday off) and only 1 3-day weekend. In addition to that he studied for and took step 3 of his boards and started a research project. Whew! I can't count the number of shirts that have been ironed, the times Josh's white coat has been bleached or how many pairs of scrubs I have folded. I know that I am relieved that it is over and can only imagine the relief Josh feels knowing that he never has to be an Intern again.
(Since Josh isn't a fan of having his picture taken in work garb, here's the hospitals he's spent the vast majority of his time at since last June.)
Loma Linda University Medical Center
Riverside County Hospital
The VA in Loma Linda
This next year will bring another 7 call months but somehow knowing that we've already made it though a year is very comforting. I knew residency would be tough, but I had no idea of how demanding and stressful it really is for both the physician and the family. Through it all I have come to appreciate and be grateful for the wonderful man Josh is. It amazes me what he goes through daily and that he is willing to continually go through such a rigorous schedule so he can help people and support our family in a way that I can be a mom. I love you sweetie! Only 5 more years to go!!







5 comments:
Way to go Josh (and Abbie)! I think about you guys all the time and am amazed at what you do. We love you!
you are amazing for surviving this past year. I don't know how either of you do it!
Way to go Josh!! Abbie you are an amazing strong mother and wife! One thing I have learned is that the wife can make it either difficult or "easy" for the husband when he comes home from the rigorous schedule! You guys are amazing examples to my family for sure!
Way to get through the first year! Abbie you are amazing. Did you stay in your same area, just move apartments or into a house?
Josh IS so amazing- but he is so blessed to have such a supportive wife like you Abbie!
Post a Comment